About our Institute: The Institut für Mineralogie and Kristallographie and its mineral collection have been founded in 1849 when F.X.M. Zippe was installed by Emperor Franz Joseph as first Professor of Mineralogy. Nowadays it is located at the new Center of Geosciences of the University of Vienna which was completed in 1995.
Besides of the neighbouring institutes of petrology, geology, palaeontology, and geochemistry, the institute has plenty of room for 35 laboratories and about 20 office rooms plus mechanical shops and cutting-grinding-polishing labs. A very comprehensive library, lecture rooms with audio-visual equipment, and several (public) computer rooms complete the impression of a modern university centre. The central location, the close distance to public transport systems, as well as the cultural environment in Vienna, characterize this place of education. The institute is equipped with a rich spectrum of state-of-the-art experimental facilities like X-ray diffractometers, spectrometers, synthesis labs, etc. Dedicated to research and teaching, the institute plays an important role in the training of students of Earth sciences and biology/environmental sciences.
Research is focused on the characterization of minerals and, in general, solid-state matter by analytical and optical methods, by X-ray diffraction and spectroscopy. Investigation of natural samples provides the relation to the neighbouring disciplines of the Earth sciences, whereas studies of synthetic materials like oxide ceramics and acentric crystals aim at industrial applications. Contacts to different research groups from physics and chemistry, and access to foreign experimental facilities promote a vivid scientific development.