Pre-ICC2015 Workshops (20-21 August) in Curritiba, Brazil
The pre-ICC2015 workshops are co-organize at the Federal University of Paraná in Curitiba, Brazil. Curitiba is not too far from Rio de Janeiro and a flight ticket is very cheap.
Two different workshops will be organised, each lasting one day:
- Workshop number one is meant for researchers and students who want to know more about “How to design and conduct user studies”. This workshop will be organized together with the ICA Commission on Cognitive Visualization. A more detailed program will be posted later on.
- The central theme of workshop number two is “Envisioning the future of cartographic research”. It will be organized together with the ICA Commissions on Cognitive Visualization and on Geovisualization. So, it is this part of the research agenda (in relation with use and user issues) we will be focusing on with, hopefully, as many interested researchers and future researchers (students) as possible. The second workshop does not follow the traditional format of presentations and questions but assumes an active participation of all present. For more information, please have a look here. Some important deadlines not to be missed:
-15 December 2014, deadline for one paragraph proposals for why a topic constitutes a ‘big problem’ in cartography. Please submit your one-paragraph proposal here.
-1 February 2015, publication on commission webpages of selected ‘big problem’ topics for pre-ICC workshop.
-31 March 2015, deadline for expression of interest in writing a white paper for a particular topic.
Please submit your expression of interest to Rob Roth.
-15 April 2015, notification of group membership and draft workshop agenda.
-15 June 2015, deadline for 2 page white papers on ‘big problem’ topics so that workshop participants can review them before the workshop. Please submit your 2-page white paper in CHI Archive Format to Amy Griffin.
Practical information about lodging etc. will be available soon.
CARTOCON 2014- Olomouc, Czech Republic
The commission organised a meeting at the CARTOCON 2014 Conference, which took place from 25 - 28 February 2014 in Olomouc (Czech Republic).The conference aimed to bring together cartographers from across different areas of cartography, which turned out to be a great succes:
- Maps and Atlases Production
- Use and Users Issues
- Cognition and Visualization Issues
- Cartography and Statistics
Our Vice-Chairs David Forrest and Alexander Pucher were invited as keynote speakers.
Workshop on Working with Eye-Tracking: Why, When, and How?
Together with the ICA Commissions on Cognitive Visualization and Geovisualization, the Commission organized a very successfull pre-ICC2013 Workshop on Working with Eye-Tracking on 23 & 24 August 2013 in Dresden, Germany. The programme consisted out of a mixture of presentations regarding applications, case studies, data analysis, data interpretation and cognition and demonstrations of eye-‐tracking equipment from different manufacturers.
- Workshop program and materials are here.
Workshop on Geographic Human-Computer Interaction
In line with our Terms of Reference (the “outreach chapter”), the Commission supported the organization of a Workshop on Geographic Human-Computer Interaction that was held on 27 - 28 April 2013 (also in Paris and in conjunction with CHI2013).
A number of Commission members during a field activity of the workshop: