Use and User Issues in Cartography and Geo-information Processing and Dissemination
Website of the Commission on Use and User Issues of the International Cartographic Association (ICA)
- The Commission supports the Fifth Workshop on Usability of Geographic Information, which will be held in 2013 (date to be determined). Further information and call for contribution will be made available here.
- Together with the ICA Commissions on Cognitive Visualization and Geovisualization, the Commission will organize a pre-ICC2013 Workshop on Working with Eye-Tracking on 23 & 24 August 2013 in Dresden, Germany. The workshops includes a Data Challenge. The associated datasets can be downloaded form these pages: CogVis, GeoVis, and UUI. More information and the Call for Participation can be downloaded here.
- The ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) is the most prestiguous conference in the field of general human-computer interaction. CHI 2013 will be held in Paris from 27 April to 2 May. See: http://chi2013.acm.org. In line with our Terms of Reference (the “outreach chapter”), the Commission is now supporting the organization of a Workshop on Geographic Human-Computer Interaction that will be held on 27 - 28 April 2013 (also in Paris and in conjunction with CHI2013). Please find the call for papers / position statements here. Further information can be found at http://geohci2013.grouplens.org/. We hope that many commission members will consider sharing knowledge with the broader HCI domain and submit a position statement on or before 11 January 2013. Extended to 18 January 2013!!!!
- The Commission was one of the co-organizers of the successful SOMAP 2012 Symposium on Service-Oriented Mapping, which was held in Vienna, Austria on 22-23 November 2012. Further details can be found here.
- An interdisciplinary group of around 30 people took part in the 4th Workshop on Geographic Information Usability, held on 17th January 2012 at the School of the Built and Natural Environment, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. Further information
- The most relevant textbook (up to the present) for this Commission's domain is Interacting with Geospatial Technologies (ed. by Muki Haklay). It appeared in 2010 and details can be found in the Bibliography.
Workshop on Designing and Conducting User Studies
On 16 September 2012 (the day before the start of AutoCarto2012) the Commission ran a successful workshop together with the ICA Commission on Cognitive Visualization in Columbus, Ohio, USA.
Participants of the Workshop on Designing and Conducting User Studies
Here you can find the programme of the Workshop.
The Workshop consisted of 4 modules:
Module 1a – Methods and techniques of use, user and usability resaerch in geo-information processing and dissemination (Kristien Ooms & Corné van Elzakker)
Module 1b – Improving the usability of pedestrian navigation systems (Ioannis Delikostidis & Corné van Elzakker)
Module 2 – Designing your user study or experiment (Amy Griffin)
Module 3 – Research instrument integrity (Amy Lobben)
Module 4 – Working with the card sorting method (Robert Roth)
The presentation files are accessible through the links above.
The basic idea is that the Workshop can also be conducted elsewhere and new Modules (e.g. on another research technique) may be added in the future. Please contact Corné van Elzakker in case you want to know more.