Project Delineation / Abstract
Our main idea / concept is to support the processes of democratisation and social development of South-Eastern European countries, and to accompany them critically. Media play a crucial role in this process. In this context, to provide for the qualitative development of media communication is a special challenge for all media-related enterprises, institutions and organisations. As a result, a separate platform becomes necessary in South-Eastern Europe a platform that takes efforts for the media-critical discourse. The main aim there is to mobilise the discourse between decision-makers of media, politics, economy, science and education and to support them in their responsibility and efforts for the inter-social and internal culture of communication.
DeScripto sees itself as the mouthpiece of this discourse. It aims to actively integrate a great diversity of media-relevant ventures from economy, politics, society into the discussion. In order to achieve this, deScripto is going to give an up-to-date account about relevant developments/changes in the South-Eastern European media landscape (screening), to deal with fundamental media-political/media-cultural positions (documentation/reflection), and to evaluate them critically and independently (monitoring; through the young perspective of journalism students).
DeScripto is going to be released quarterly in English.
The first date of publication is planned for fall 2004.
Project Executioner and Publisher: Mag. Oliver Vujovic, General Secretary of SEEMO South Eastern Europe Media Organisation
Editorship: O. Univ. Prof. Dr. Thomas A. Bauer, IPKW Publizistik- und Kommunikationswissenschaft an der Universität Wien.
Consulting Service: Dardis NmcNamee, Webster University
Editorial Management: Axel Maireder /IPKW
Editorial Assistant: Mag. Kristina Bencotic, SEEMO
Administrative and editorial support: Mag. Daniela Suessenbacher, FH Journ.
Editorial Team/ Journalistic Program: students of FHf. Journalismus Wien, Institut f. Publizistik/Uni Wien, Webster University Vienna
The SEEMO Media Report pursues the following aims:
- to mobilise the critical discourse about media-social communication in the new democratic South-Eastern European countries (confrontation with current media problems, etc.)
- to develop the media discourse (media dialogue, process of exchange) between business ventures, political organisations and media ventures in Eastern and Southern Europe
- to provide a platform of orientation for a critical evaluation of the media landscape for the media ventures, media-political facilities, socially relevant institutions, that represent themselves medially in Eastern and South Eastern Europe and that rely on their economic and cultural functioning.
- to mobilise the media cooperation across South-Eastern European countries
At the same time, this project works as an training program with clear educational targets. By participting at the program, Austrian students of journalism receive the chance:
- to research independently, to discuss, and to publish features about the current media discourse in Eastern and South-Eastern Europe (learning by doing)
- to develop political-cultural awareness for the developing society in Eastern and South-Eastern Europe
- to complete a journalistic internship and to use the according certificate as a device for their career.
about the structure of deScripto Project on the Website of Thomas A. Bauer: www.thomasbauer.at