Being mean in Space - Ecosystem of EVE Online Hausar 2017
· Vortrag · Konferenzvortrag ·
Games · Computer Games · MMORPG · Game Studies · Ludology
Being mean in Space – The Player Ecosystem of EVE Online
(Suggested track: players gaining power)
EVE Online from icelandic CCP-Games has a lot of innovative approaches for including players in the game development process. Through this and their very permissive in-game rule system for play, a lot of player initiatives have developed as an addition to the official channels between players and developers. This results in a lot of innovative play styles and tactics and a thriving eco-system in-and out of game with a faithful player-base.In this talk I give an overview and evaluation of the different channels between developers and players and how this fits into “playing” the game.
Video Talk (FROG)
And here you can find some Fan Content Sites: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.
- Crossing Zebras – EVE Online articles, videos, news - https://crossingzebras.com/
- Eve News24: Your Daily source of EVE Online News! http://evenews24.com/
- INN – Imperium News Network - https://imperium.news/
- Talking In Stations | SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/mt-erall
- Empires of EVE: The History Lectures | SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/empiresofeve
- Stories of New Eden - https://community.eveonline.com/backstory/chronicles/
- The Eve Reader Podcast -Podcasts of the Chronicles of Eve Online - http://www.evereader.org/
- EVE Online Film Clear Skies 1-3
- More Videos - https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/2n2qgq/please_recommend_good_eve_online_videos_and_movies/
EVE-Parody and Propaganda
- Eve Online Parody Songs - https://soundcloud.com/joakia-1/sets/eve-online
- EVE Online Propaganda
EVE Players4Players Charity and Real Life Help
- Broadcast 4 Reps: A Message from the EVE Online Community - https://forums-archive.eveonline.com/topic/443303/
- EVE Vegas 2017 – Blade Runner 2049 Charity Screening - https://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/eve-online-news/eve-vegas-2017-blade-runner-2019-charity-screening/
- Twitter: #tweetfleet
- Empires of EVE: A History of the Great Wars of EVE Online (2016, Andrew Groen) - https://goo.gl/UTrNyu
- The Frigates of EVE Online (2017) - https://goo.gl/NLGNZQ
- More… https://goo.gl/Voyjwy
[I’m sure, I forgot a ton, please add in comments]
Literature and Articles on Digital Theft
- Bobby Glushko, Tales of the (Virtual) City: Governing Property Disputes in Virtual Worlds, 22 Berkeley Tech. L.J. 507 (2007). Available at: http://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu/btlj/vol22/iss1/26 . DOI: http://dx.doi.org/https://doi.org/10.15779/Z38497Q
- Wayne Rumbles (2011): Theft in the Digital: Can you Steal Virtual Property? In: Canterbury Law Review Vol 17, 2, 2011, S 351-374.
- Dutch court imposes real-world punishment for virtual theft. A case in the Netherlands sets an interesting precedent: real-world assault.
- Bernard, Jessie (1954): The Theory of Games of Strategy as a Modern Sociology of Conflict. In: American Journal of Sociology 59 (5), S. 411–424.
- Feix, Jeff (2006): Evil and Human Agency. Understanding Collective Evildoing. In: Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law Online 34 (2), S. 262.
- Gee, James Paul: Good Video Games and Good Learning. University of Madison. Madison. Online verfügbar unter http://www.academiccolab.org/resources/documents/Good_Learning.pdf.
- Golub, Alex (2010): Being in the World (Of Warcraft). Raiding, Realism, and Knowledge Production in a Massively Multiplayer Online Game. In: Anthropological Quarterly 83 (1), S. 17–45.
- Khanolkar, Preeti R.; McLean, Paul D. (2012): 100-Percenting It. Videogame Play Through the Eyes of Devoted Gamers. In: Sociological Forum 27 (4), S. 961–985.
- Losh, Elizabeth (2009): Regulating Violence in Virtual Worlds: Theorizing Just War and Defining War Crimes in World of Warcraft. In: Pacific Coast Philology 44 (2), S. 159–172. Online verfügbar unter http://www.jstor.org.uaccess.univie.ac.at/stable/25699564.