Brief Inventory of Illuminated Manuscripts
until 1600 and Incunabula
Armand Tif, Martin
English translation by Kathryn Martin (University of Pittsburgh)
Online publication through the generous permission of the head librarian of the
Stiftsbibliothek Herzogenburg (Augustiner Chorherren)
|Preface to the Art-Historical Survey of the Manuscripts and Incunabula at Herzogenburg, 2008|
In the summer of 2008 Armand
Tif and Martin Roland took a five-day working holiday to Herzogenburg
in order to examine the medieval inventory of the collegiate library.
The manuscripts replete with decoration were more carefully
examined, and their decoration, provenance, date, and other relevant
information were noted and digitally captured.
Previously known information, scant as it was, was then collected, leading to the composition of short texts on each individual object. Then, they discussed how to best present this information online. One objective envisioned from the beginning was to link to Alois Haidinger's (ÖAW, KSBM) database that has compiled all manuscripts housed in Austrian collections (manuscripta.at).
The inventory presented on this website aims to present all of the manuscripts prior to 1600 containing book decoration and all of the incunabula holdings. The scientific classification of the material is to be understood as a work in progress, and, as such, the authors of this website welcome any suggestions from its users.
First and foremost, we would like to thank the entire community in Herzogenburg for their warm reception. In particular, we are indebted to the head librarian, Fr. Ulrich Mauterer, and the archivist, Helga Penz, for their willing cooperation and the constructive exchange of ideas.The art-historical cataloging of the employees at the Otto Pächt-Archiv has been conceptually and financially supported for many years by the FWF, the KSBM der ÖAW and the Institut für Kunstgeschichte der Universität Wien. Without the support of these institutions, the results presented here would not have been possible. The helpful advice of the long-standing project manager, Gerhard Schmidt, and the entire team at the Otto Pächt-Archiv was indispensable in the realization of this undertaking.
In order to present these images online to a large, general audience, our thanks to Prelate Maximilian Fürnsinn. For high-resolution digital images and the granting of publication rights, please contact the head librarian of the Herzogenburg collegiate library and archive.